Check out this simple and easy recipe packed full of flavour! Sabrina demonstrated this recipe on the Festive Kitchen stage, sponsored by Eat Game, at the BBC Good Food Show Winter 2022.
500g venison minimum 15-20% fat, minced
250g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
2 tbsp vegetable, olive, or garlic oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp paprika
1 heaped tsp garlic granules
300ml single cream
Small handful of finely chopped chives, to garnish (optional)
French fries, mashed potato or buttered tagliatelle, to serve
- Roll the minced venison into roughly 2cm balls, to make approximately 30-32 mini meatballs. Heat a dry drying pan over a high head and once hot, add the mushrooms and stir-fry without an oil until all their liquid has been released and evaporated.
- Once the pain is dry again, drizzle in 2 tbsp oil, add the onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add the meatballs, then gently shake the pain to avoid breaking or crushing them.
- Add the paprika, garlic granules and a generous amount of salt and pepper, then pour over the cream.
- Cook, without stirring, for a minute and then very gently stir to mix the spices evenly into the sauce. Reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lit and cook over a low-medium heat for 10-15 mins, gently shaking the lidded pan occasionally to prevent the meatballs from sticking to the bottom.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and scatter with the chopped chives (if desired). Serve crispy french fries, mashed potato, or buttered tagliatelle. This needs no accompaniment.
Persiana Everyday by Sabrina Ghayour is published by Aster (£26)
The photography credit is the following: Photography by Kris Kirkham