800g minced belly pork
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
3 green chillies, finely chopped
1⁄2 tsp cracked black pepper
20 mint leaves, finely chopped
40g dried breadcrumbs
2 shallots, finely diced
70g green olives, pitted
1⁄2 tsp salt
150g feta cheese, crumbled
olive oil, for frying
For the salsa:
4 spring onions, trimmed
1⁄2 bunch of dill, stalks removed, leaves finely chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp green olives, puréed
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
grated zest and juice of 1 small unwaxed lemon
6 burger or brioche buns
slices of cheese, optional
tomato ketchup, optional
1) For the burgers put the mince, garlic, chilli, pepper, mint, breadcrumbs, shallots, olives, salt and feta in a large bowl and mix thoroughly until well combined. Work together with your hands until the mixture forms a firm ball.
2) Divide into six equal portions, shape into patties and place on a tray. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins, or overnight to allow the flavours to develop.
3) Prepare the salsa about 20 mins before serving the burgers. Peel the cucumber, halve lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Finely dice the cucumber flesh and place in a bowl. Thinly slice the spring onions and add to the cucumber with the dill, oil, olives, chilli and lemon zest and juice. Toss to combine and set aside to allow the flavours to mingle.
4) Brush the burgers with olive oil. Heat the grill, barbecue or frying pan to medium heat. Gently cook the burgers for 4–5 mins on one side then flip them over and cook for a further 2 mins or until cooked right through. Remove the burgers from the heat and leave to rest on a warmed plate for a couple of mins.
5) Serve the burgers with the salsa sandwiched in buns, with cheese and tomato ketchup if you like.
Tom is appearing at the BBC Good Food Show on Friday 16 June