300g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 4cm cubes
1 tsp coconut oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced 5cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
2 green cardamom pods 100g spinach, finely chopped 25g cherry tomatoes, halved 15g coriander, leaves and stalks finely chopped
sea salt and black pepper
For the marinade
3 garlic cloves
4cm piece of root ginger, peeled 1 green chilli, deseeded
25g Greek yoghurt
1 tsp each ground cumin, ground fennel and ground cinnamon
For the apple and pea chutney
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped 15g coriander, leaves and stalks grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 red chilli, deseeded
75g peas (fresh or thawed)
1. To make the marinade, blend the garlic, ginger and chilli in a blender or food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl, add the yoghurt, cumin, fennel and cinnamon, season well and mix. Add the chicken pieces, and coat them in the marinade. Leave for at least 20 minutes (ideally overnight, covered, in the fridge).
2. Preheat the grill to medium.
3. Push the marinated chicken pieces onto the skewers and line them on a rack under the grill. Cook for 22–25 minutes, until lightly charred, turning them halfway through to ensure they cook evenly.
4. While the chicken skewers are cooking, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, ginger and cardamom pods and sauté for 1–2 minutes until soft. Fold in the spinach, tomatoes and coriander, cover with a lid then remove from the heat.
5. To make the chutney, blitz the apple, coriander, lime zest and juice, red chilli and peas in a blender or food processor until roughly blended. Add a splash of water to loosen if needed.
Serve the chicken skewers with the sautéed spinach and chutney.
Serve with perfectly cooked wholegrain or wild rice with a clove in the cooking water for flavour.